Module completion is how Badgr is signaled to award badges. Learn how to set completion requirements to customize how learners earn their badges.
Badgr in Canvas can be configured to award badges automatically based on module completion status (only). Module completion requirements can be set based on a rich combination of assignment grades, quiz scores, submission, content viewed, and module prerequisites. Badges are linked to Canvas modules (and awarded based on any "rubric" criteria the module has configured).
- Module completion requirements must be added to each module with which you've associated a badge.
- If a badge is not being awarded as expected, module completion requirements should be reexamined (troubleshooting).
- Modules and courses need to be published in order for badges to be automatically awarded.
- Prerequisites can be used in conjunction with Requirements, however only Requirements will trigger badge awards.
Learn more about:
Setting Module Completion Requirements
- Log into your Canvas course and click the "Modules" menu.
- Click the gear icon that is adjacent to the module title.
- Choose edit from the gear menu dropdown.
A dialog box will open that gives you several options for adding prerequisites and requirements.
Prerequisites are optional, requirements are compulsory. Prerequisites will not trigger badge awards, only requirements.
Choose the requirement(s) and/or prerequisites that match the goals of your course and badging program. You can get very creative with combinations of requirements.
Self-paced courses may opt to use "view the item" or "mark as done" whereas courses with rigor may opt to use "submit the assignment" or "score at least".
6. Click the "Update Module" button to finish, then observe your completion rules displayed within the module.
After correcting that problem, you can either revoke badges that were awarded mistakenly or clear out the badge assigned to the module and reassign it. Just make sure before doing this that you have fixed the problem with the completion rules so that incorrect badges are not re-awarded the next time Badgr checks progress when you view the progress screen.