What are Pathways?
- Badgr Pathways allows users to stack Open Badges, like stepping stones, into Learning Pathways to map out a curriculum. This provides administrators the ability to easily track group and individual progress across coursework, training series, and programs.
- The Pathways system is flexible enough to allow for different branches and segments, with required and optional steps, that light up the path and directs the learner on what steps to take next.
- Learning Pathways may contain and culminate in Milestone Badges that are automatically awarded when lower branches of the pathway are fulfilled.
Creating or editing a Pathway
Pathway administrators should start from the Issuers menu. Create or select the Issuer for which you want to create a pathway.
- Navigate to "Issuers" in the top navigation bar to create or access your Issuers. Through your issuer, you'll be able to award badges and subscribe users to pathways.
- Select View Issuer or the link to create a new issuer(s) in Badgr. Then, go back to Issuer, where you left off.
- Once on the Issuer Detail page, select Create Pathway or use the ellipsis controls corresponding to the pathway you wish to edit.
- If creating a new Pathway, provide a name and description, then save. The name and description of the pathway are displayed on the Pathway completion card and in the first section of the Pathway Details window.
- Select Edit Pathway.
- Select the Completion Badge card to edit the Pathway.
- Select a Completion Badge that you want to automatically award when a group member completes the pathway. Use the right panel to attach a badge to the Pathway Completion step. Adding an Open Badge as a "Completion Badge" along a pathway will result in an automatically awarded badge when all lower-level pathway criteria are met.
- Badgr Pathways recognizes Badgr awards from different sources including Canvas courses, and bulk or individual badge awards. If the Pathway Completion Badge may be earned outside the Pathway, you may wish to check the box.
- The Add Step button corresponds to the Prerequisite Step in the side panel. Select Add Step and enter a name for the step, and an optional description to place other items in the Pathway.
- Select the Step tile in the pathway for editing. Use the pencil to edit the step contents. Use the arrows to move the step to a different location along the pathway where indicated. You may also delete the step.
Pathway authors can set up flexible criteria for Parent Milestone Badge awards. There are two ways authors can manage their pathway criteria. The first is defining which and how many required badges a learner must earn in order to complete the requirements for the Parent step. The second is to define which and how many children steps must be completed in order to complete the Parent step. This allows authors to create diverse learning pathways that can further engage learners.
- Then, once the Required Badge in the middle column is earned, the Pathway is completed and the Pathway Completion Badge is automatically awarded.
- Be sure to publish your pathway before subscribing followers.
- Be cautious about making edits to the pathway once followers begin their journey.