Awarding Badges in Module
Teachers now have the ability to add the badge as an element in the module in so that students can view the module completion badge right alongside other modules. This also opens up a new option to require learners to submit an evidence URL in addition to completing module requirements to earn the badge.
Here's how to add a badge to a module:
- Set up course modules, assign module completion rules, and assign badges to modules.
- Add a new item to the module by clicking '+'
Use the drop-down menu to select 'External Tool'
- Select the custom link highlighted in blue. The name of the link may vary because it can be set by the staff member who installs Badgr into Canvas. The name shown on your configuration screen will be different than the "api.badgr.io" text shown here.
- Do not change the URL field.
- The default page name is "Submit Badge Evidence," but may be changed to something more descriptive if evidence is not being collected. Consider renaming it "Claim your badge" or something similar.
- Clicking the 'Load in a new tab' box will affect both student and teacher views. We recommend not selecting this option for best experience within the Canvas course.
- Once you have clicked the link, the 'URL' and 'Page Name' fields will populate with default settings.
- Use the Indentation feature to organize items within a module.
- Be sure to publish the item when you are ready for students to access it.
To allow students to submit 'Evidence' to their badge
The URL submission field will be presented to students only if required for completion. The submitted URL is not stored within the course data, it is baked into the badge awards.
- Log into the course as a Teacher.
- Click the name of the badge item in the module that you added by following the instructions above.
- If you'd like to require evidence, indicate by clicking the box.
- Click 'Next' or go back to 'Modules'
- Repeat these steps as necessary for the remaining modules.
Depending upon how your module completion rules are set, the badges may display differently when viewing the Progress tab. Completed modules with badge awards appear in color while un-awarded badges are grayed out. If evidence is required, a small icon appears on the badge. If the icon is yellow, a URL has been submitted by the student.
Clicking the badge on the 'Progress' screen provides additional detail and allows the teacher to view the URL evidence submitted by the student. The teacher reviews the student-submitted work and determines if the student meets the completion requirements and triggers the badge award.
Below are views of the badged activity showing one with the badge awarded and one without.
|evidence submitted, unearned badge||evidence submitted, earned badge|
For badges that require evidence, students can edit the URL until the completion requirements for the module are met. Once the module completion requirements are met, the badge is automatically awarded.
Once the badge is awarded, a student can go back to the badge item and download a portable copy. At this point, the URL cannot be edited.
When the student visits the Badges tab in their course, they can see evidence submission status for each badge in the course.